Thursday, October 17, 2013

Are you Dirty?

Growing up, I always loved playing outside. My twin sister and I grew up in a neighborhood full of boys, so most of our childhood was spent playing tackle football, 5 on 5 basketball games, home run derby, bike races and summer water balloon wars. When it was time to come in for the night, my mom would always tell us to make sure we cleaned ourselves off and not to track any mud in the house. I often reflect on those fond memories of childhood friends and how many t-shirts, shorts and shoes I ruined over the years. When we played, we played hard.

As I get older, I reflect on these days where you had not a worry in the world and it was normal to play outside and get dirty. In our world today, I look at being dirty in a different way. When I think of the word "dirty" it reminds me of the things I've done and said that have not made me proud. There are times when we make bad choices, wrong decisions and get in the wrong crowd. Instead of our parents being there to make us take off our dirty clothes, we have a Father that can help clean us up from our dirtiness.

Are you dirty? Are there things in your life you are trying to change and disinfect? We all have struggles and disaappintments that cause us to feel dirty and unclean. Psalm 51:10 says "God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me." No matter what we have done or if we go astray God is always there waiting for us to come to Him. He wants to give us a clean slate and a new start. 1 John 1:9 says that "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

If you get to a point in your life where you feel you are settling for less than you deserve or making the wrong choices, remember that God is there for us. He is readily available to rinse all the mud from our hearts and souls. The mud could be jealousy, envy, greed, hate or anything that is hindering you from being the person you want to be. He is there to renew a right spirit inside of you. He wants to help us be a shiny, clean ambassador for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment