Sunday, May 26, 2013

Do you need a Timeout?

This is usually a busy time of year with graduations, visiting family, weddings and making sure we have paid our taxes or better yet get a tax refund check. It's the time where hustle and bustle become a big part of our lives and often we forget to eat or forget what we have done for that week.

Just as in a basketball game, sometimes in life we need to call a timeout. In a game situation you need to call a timeout to rest your team or most of the time to regroup and get your team back on the task at hand. This to me is one of the best analogies between a game that I love and life. In life, frequently we need to call a timeout. We need to get away, refocus and reflect on the blessings in our lives. This is a part of life I feel like many people fail to fulfill. They get to the end of their lives and say "Where did my life go?" I don't want that to be me. We get so consumed with our jobs and being successful and making lots of money that we neglect the simple things in life that are free. Our families, our friends, our faith and most importantly...time. Unfortunately, these simple things are usually the ones that we put last on our priority list. We are so worried about getting that next recruit, getting that big bonus check or trying to impress some big shot that we neglect what really matters in the end.

So call a timeout if you feel yourself becoming exhausted through the rat race of life. Take time to escape to a quiet place to ponder your life and prioritize where you are. Are you making the  right decisions? Are you surrounding yourself with people that encourage and support you? Are you making time for your family? I feel this is so important to call these timeouts frequently. It's important to change up your game plan to make life more enjoyable and meaningful. I know I've had to call a few timeouts the past few years. I felt myself going the wrong way and becoming and surrounding myself with people that were not a positive influence in my life. It's important to refocus and regroup. I've been so blessed this year to develop friendships that will last a lifetime, work for a great university that contains wonderful people and have been able to spend quality time with my family.

The #1 reason for my timeouts are to look at my life and see if I'm "Who" I want to be. Am I living a life that is pleasing to God? For He is the reason all of us are here in the first place. So this Memorial Day weekend, take time to thank the good Lord for all of your blessings, for the trials that have helped you become who you are and for your family and friends that love you unconditionally. But most of all say a little prayer for all the men and women who have taken a "timeout" to protect us and give us the freedoms that we enjoy daily. I'm thankful for Granddaddy Jim (I miss him so much every day) that served in the Merchant Marines and for Granddaddy Vic that served in the United States Air Force. Hug a soldier and thank them for what they do.

I encourage you this week to take a timeout if you feel the need to refocus and recharge your life!!!
We aren't on this Earth very long and the older I get the more I realize how short life is. We aren't given an unlimited number of timeouts so use them wisely to create your game plan that will enhance your life situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment