Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Buzzer

Often times in sports, we forget the importance of the buzzer. Most frequently, it is the sound that signals the end of a half or the end of a game. When that buzzer sounds and the clock hits zero, it's a known fact that the game is over. This is the time when the teams go to their respective locker rooms and discuss the outcome of the game. Post game talks usually consists of effort, execution and effectiveness. The coach will ask if you played to the best of your ability and did you execute the game plan that was planned for that particular game. Some games we give it our all, but still come up short.

Life has many similarities to that buzzer we often hear at athletic events. When the game of life ends and your final buzzer sounds, will you be satisfied with your performance here on this Earth? Each day is like a small piece in the game of life that all of us are playing. Do you give each day 100%? Do you compete with yourself each day to make you a better person, friend, spouse, co-worker or teammate? Are you prepared when God needs you to sub in to help one of your teammates?

There is an imaginary buzzer that goes off at the end of each day to signal that the day is over. When you hear it, I want you to think to yourself if you gave that day 100% effort? Did I win or lose that day? If i lost the day, what can I do tomorrow to make it better? Was I a good teammate today? Did I encourage or discourage? Encouraging words often tend to make us want to give just a little bit more.

We must focus on our performance as God provides us with a new opportunity each day. Did you hug instead of yell? Was I kind or mean to the lady in front of me at the check-out counter that had a buggy full of groceries and I had two items? Did I give up my close parking spot to the elderly lady who wanted the same spot I wanted? For it's these selfless, kind acts that help boost our performance to serve God in all we do.

Will you be satisfied with your performance when your final buzzer sounds?

No comments:

Post a Comment