Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Are you sailing your vessel?

One of my all-time favorite songs is Garth Brook's "The River." The lyrics say this:
You know a dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows. And the dreamer's just a vessel that must follow where it goes. Trying to learn from what's behind you and never knowing what's in store. Makes each day a constant battle, just to stay between the shores. And I will sail my vessel, till the river runs dry. Like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my sky. I'll never reach my destination if I never try, so I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry.

The good Lord gives us each a unique vessel that He calls us to use for our own purpose in this life. He sometimes has to send that vessel more than once for us to realize what He is calling us to do.
I truly believe that there are times in life when God sends signs for us to pull on our heart strings of what He wants us to do.

Last night I went to hear Dr. Donna Lopiano speak to all the female student athletes here at Tech. She spoke about 5 points that dealt with leadership. There were 2 points that really stood out to me:

1. Follow your moral compass.

In life we all lose direction at some period in our life. We feel that we are lost and that things just don't work out the way we envision them. God is there providing us with that compass. The compass may be a job, a friend, a stranger, a note or even a phone call. He knows what we need and He knows what direction He wants us to follow. Sometimes we forget to just be still and listen.
"When you feel down to nothing; God is up to something."

2. Believing that you have an obligation to Pay it Forward.

This might be my favorite view on life. So many times we strive to get ahead, we are selfish and we forget to give back of our time. When we fill ourselves with God's word and His direction, we become vessels to be set out for His use. So do some thing nice for someone each day. Be in a good mood. Life is too short to be angry and mean to people. Practice patience. Practice humility. Practice paying it forward. Give and you shall receive!

So I challenge you to let God use you as a "vessel." Be a vessel of good news, of cheerful spirit and spread His word through your actions. He is our compass and will lead us in the direction we want to go. Remember we are on His time....not our!

"There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
With the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all"

Don't sit upon the shore line. Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tides!

Sail Away My Friends......Who is your Captain?

Verse: 2 Timothy 2:21
Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTwImfEYLY

No comments:

Post a Comment