Monday, April 15, 2013

Secrets from the Shore....

Everyone reaches a point in their life when it's time for a change, time to get away from reality, time to escape to that place of serenity where you "Recharge your batteries" as I call it. We all get caught up in our jobs and our routine lives. As I grow older, it has become apparent the importance of taking time for yourself to reflect and think about life. I have been coming to Orange Beach, AL for almost 20 years now. If you've never been it's the best kept secret in America. This is where I come to find peace and escape reality for a couple of days. It's a place to think and enjoy God's creation.

There's a warm, friendly breeze that blows in the Gulf of Mexico. In life we all need to go catch our second wind sometimes. My dad always tells me it's good for the soul and adds years to your life. I must say that I agree wholeheartedly. There is something about the salty air and hearing the waves crash down that enhances your faith and human spirit. Sitting on the shore, observing the vastness of one of God's most impressive creations, bring me to this conclusion: Our lives can be compared to that of seashell. There are many different types, colors, shapes and life spans. Some are beautiful with all pieces intact, while others have broken pieces and are washed up to shore never to be picked up.

At some point in our lives we have searched for those perfect shells to take home. Sometimes, though it's the unique, broken ones that catch our attention. Such is the case for me. A couple of years ago I began picking up broken shells. I brought them back to my house and made a LIFE IS GOOD portrait and hung it in my house. I was so proud because those broken shells, when pieced together, formed a beautiful picture. I also made numerous flowers and other things with those broken shells.

If you think about it, our lives are much like those seashells. We all go through times where we got washed up on the shore and feel like nobody will ever walk by and pick us up. Then we see those the perfectly-pieced together shells that everyone wants to stop and grab and carry home. So I encourage you to be a friend to those who get washed up and nobody wants to pick up. If we help piece them together we can help stop much heartbreak and brokenness in this world. Sometimes all we need is one person to come pick us up and encourage us and assist us in putting back the broken pieces of our lives.

There are so many people out there that need to be picked up and put in your bucket. So search for the broken pieces, and be the glue that can help them create their own masterpiece. Be a good friend, be a good teammate, be a good coach and  be a good mentor. Don't ignore the broken pieces.....pick them up, for they usually can become the most inspiring and teach us much more about life.
Do something nice for someone....God knows this world needs it!










No comments:

Post a Comment