Sunday, April 21, 2013

Have you had your Vitamin "N"?

On the plane ride home from the Deep South Classic in Raleigh, NC I pulled out my Women's Health magazine to read. After 2 days of watching the game I love, I came to an article in the magazine that caught my attention. It was titled "Are you getting enough Vitamin N"? The "N" stands for Nature. The past couple of years, a couple of my friends and I have started hiking trails in the great state of Tennessee. Today, we hiked one of the most challenging hikes in this state, the Honey Creek Loop. Today was Sunday, so we decided to attend church exploring God's beautiful creation. Through rugged terrain, caves, wading through rapid waters (which we had a near tragic accident when one of my friends fell in the waterfall), climbing down ropes and scaling up ladders the scenery today was captivating.
I'm a beach girl, but hiking has become one of my favorite things to do. The sights, smells and sounds are intriguing to me. I feel it's so important sometimes to just step outside and take a breath of fresh air.
At every turn today there was a waterfall or a beautiful landmark of God's amazing creation. Being outside on a beautiful Spring day just makes you feel better doesn't it? The best part of being outdoors to me is that His fellowship is free out there. So find a few friends, google a good hike and start getting your Vitamin "N". Turn off the tv, put the cell phone down for a couple of hours and load up for a refreshing journey. Studies show it's good for the brain, good for your heart and quite frankly, like the beach, I believe it's good for the soul.
We have been blessed to live in this wonderful state of Tennessee where there are so many fascinating sights to see. I'm thankful for a good friend that talked me into going one day a couple of years ago. It's just nice to get away sometimes from the hustle and bustle of every day life. We all need to recharge the batteries and breathe a breath of fresh air. Leave nothing but footprints. Take nothing but pictures. Kill nothing but time. Nature is a good name for an effect whose cause is God.
If you can't find anyone to go with you, give me a call and I'll go....

“This life is yours. Take the power to choose what you want to do and do it well. Take the power to love what you want in life and love it honestly. Take the power to walk in the forest and be a part of nature. Take the power to control your own life. No one else can do it for you. Take the power to make your life happy.” 
 Susan Polis Schutz

No comments:

Post a Comment